Tuesday 26 September 2017

L takes us to ...?


Hope to Die: The gripping serial killer thriller for fans of M. J. Arlidge (The DS Nathan Cody series) by [Jackson, David]




















On our bookish journey round the world. we're staying close to home this week. "Hope to die', a crime thriller is set in Liverpool with a serial murderer on the loose in the grounds of the cathedral. This is the first book by David Jackson that I've read and I found myself gripped by tension as the body count mounted. I read a lot of crime thrillers though and I'm pleased that even for an avid fan there were still a few surprises.I worked out the red herring but still didn't spot the killer so well done for that. I did find myself wishing I had read the first in the series as there were a lot of references to a previous case which has had repercussions for Cody and affects his relationship with his colleague, an aspect of the book that I particularly enjoyed. Although the ending of the book is neatly resolved regarding the killers, Cody's personal and mental issues are not so it looks like I'm going to have to read the rest in the series to find out what is behind his nightmares. All in all a read that will keep you turning the page, full of emotional suspense, clever without being contrived.

About David Jackson

David  Jackson 


I am the author of a series of crime thrillers featuring Irish-American NYPD Detective Callum Doyle. The first in the series, Pariah, was Highly Commended in the Crime Writers Association Debut Dagger Awards. It is published by Pan Macmillan. The follow-ups are The Helper and Marked, and I am hard at work on the fourth in the series. My writing influences include Ed McBain, Dennis Lehane, George Pelecanos, Robert Crais, Michael Connelly and Harlan Coben, amongst many others. My favourite quote about my work is one from the Guardian, now carried on the front of my novels: 'Recalls Harlan Coben - though for my money Jackson is the better writer.'


Website


Twitter





Julie Ryan is the author of the Greek Island mystery series, Jenna's Journey, Sophia's Secret and Pandora's Prophecy. You can find out more about her here

https://www.amazon.co.uk/-/e/B00F0VYX34









No comments:

Post a Comment